Saturday, May 6, 2023

Target Is NOT The Ideal Book Venue

I've bought several books (at a significant discount) at Target, a major retail chain. But, truth be told, Target, despite the discounts, is far from being the most ideal place to buy books.

First of all, the store tends to sell the ones on the bestseller list. And once they are off the list, good luck ever seeing them on sale again. Secondly, if I was looking for a specific title by, say, James Baldwin or Ernest Hemingway, I would be completely out of luck buying it there.

For hardcore book lovers like me, Target will never be a substitute for an independent bookstore where thousands of books are available for hours of browsing. Thirdly, there are no staffers who can recommend books or to ask about books or authors. (I've never seen a sign indicating that a particular book is a "Staff Pick.")

Paying full price for a book at an indie when I have to is no deterrent to going to one of them because they are sure to have the book I want, when I want it. And if they don't have it, they can order it. I don't think that's even a possibility at a Target store.

Plus, used books can be bought for a reasonable price at many independent bookstores like Book Culture and the Strand here in New York. That's another reason to spend money at an independent bookstore.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment