Saturday, July 25, 2020

Check Out "Good Reads," A Literary Website

In 2012, I recommended Good Reads to Facebook friend Robert Penn, a writer. He responded, "Thanks for the invite to Good Reads. What is it?"

A few days later, I described Good Reads to him via Facebook as "a website where people rate, recommend, and review books. It's a good place to learn about books you would  otherwise not be aware of. I've already rated several books, giving most four out of five stars. For instance, James Baldwin's 'Giovanni's Room' I gave, if memory serves, four stars. I plan to write short reviews of other books I've read. I hope that answers your question. I also hope you'll decide to join up. If you do, let me know what your experience was like." I don't know if he ever visited the site but I would recommend it to others.

It's been a while since I've posted on Good Reads brief excerpts of reviews I wrote for the Lambda Book Report. (There may be one or two from the Gay and Lesbian Review and the Manhattan Tribune as well.)

I intend to resume posting on the site other book reviews as well as rate books and see what others have posted about books that have piqued my interest.

One book I'm thinking of reviewing is a mystery I recently finished reading. The book, Better Late Than Never by Jenn McKinlay (Berkley Prime Crime/Penguin Random House, 2016), focuses on the 20-year-old unsolved  murder of a popular high school teacher in a small Connecticut town. A book she checked out of the library at the time of her death is returned during the library's first annual fine amnesty day. Was the killer responsible for returning the book? Lindsey Norris, the library director/amateur sleuth, intends to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment