Saturday, February 9, 2019

Eating My Way Up Harlem's Eighth Avenue (Maybe)

I remember reading that Jonathan Gold, the Pulitzer Prize-winning restaurant critic for the Los Angeles Times, who died last year at age 57, ate in every restaurant along Pico Boulevard in Los Angeles and wrote a review of each restaurant. (Pico Boulevard is a very long street.)

I thought about doing something similar as an experiment here in New York, eating at and writing about every restaurant along Eighth Avenue (aka Frederick Douglass Boulevard) in Harlem, from 111th to 145th Streets.

If I decide to do it (and that's a big IF),it would be an enormous gastronomic feat involving details about each restaurant, the quality of the food and service, as well as some historical information about the ethnic and/or regional cuisine.

Not only would this project cause my waistline to take a hit but it would also take a big bite out of my wallet (concerning the latter, I would have to try to talk some publication into agreeing to underwrite my project, an iffy proposition because many newspapers and magazines have become cash-strapped lately.

Speaking of food, today is National Pizza Day. So pizza lovers, celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment