Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Few Words From Truman Capote

"...how can a writer successfully combine within a single form--say the short story--all he knows about every other form of writing? For this was why my work was often insufficiently illuminated; the voltage was there, but by restricting myself to the techniques of whatever form I was working in, I was not using everything I knew about writing--all I'd learned from film scripts, plays, reportage, poetry, the short story, novellas, the novel. A writer ought to have all his colors, all his abilities available on the same palette for mingling (and, in suitable instances, simultaneous application)."
--Truman Capote (1924-1984), Music for Chameleons: New Writing by Truman Capote
(New American Library, paperback, 1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment