Thursday, December 14, 2023

Throw Your Troubles To The Wind

Whenever I feel stressed out or have a lot on my mind, I like to take a long, leisurely walk, preferably in New York's Central Park, my all-time favorite greenspace.

The feel of fresh air on my face, the sight and smell of greenery, and the sound of wildlife never fails to clear my head and lift my spirits.

Until I recently heard a segment on the public radio show The World, I didn't know there was a name for this activity that I've been doing for many years. It's called uitwaaien (pronounced out-vy-een), a Dutch word for "out-blowing" or "walk with the wind."  There isn't, unfortunately, an English equivalent, according to one online article.

In the Netherlands it's a common practice for people to take these open-air strolls on windswept days to relieve themselves of stress and anxiety. And it's a lot cheaper than taking pills or going to therapy sessions.

So the next time life gets you down, try uitwaaien and let the wind blow away your troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment