Sunday, October 25, 2020

An Emerging Writer Isn't Always Someone Young

 In the November/December 2020 issue of Poets & Writers, you will find the 5th Annual 5 Over 50 profiles of writers age 50 plus who have published a debut book.

I just started my subscription so I was unaware of this annual acknowledgment until now even though I've read Poets & Writers for several years off and on. Somehow I missed those previous 5 Over 50 profiles.

Nevertheless, I was happy to see them. Usually it's a celebration of writers under 30 or under 40 who get most of the ink.

Finally, the 50 plus demographic, of which I'm a member--AARP's constituency--are getting some respect from the literary community, who have been too youth-obsessed when it comes to first-time authors.

As the editors at Poets & Writers have rightly pointed out, " 'new' and 'emerging' are not synonymous with 'young.' "

Can I get an "Amen" to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment