Saturday, September 28, 2019

Why I Love New York In 25 Words

WNYE,Channel 25, a public television station in New York, has a short feature it broadcasts between programs called "Why I Love New York in 25 Words" in which celebrities explain their love for the city. It has inspired me to do the same.

Central Park (especially the Conservatory Garden. I overheard a woman tell her male companion, "This is my peaceful garden. My sanctuary.")

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Harlem (Some of the most beautiful architecture in the city can be found there.)

New York Public Library (A cornucopia of information. A book lover's paradise.)

Museum Mile Festival (At this annual event, all the museums along Fifth Avenue, including the Met, are free.)

Book Culture and the Strand (My two favorite independent bookstores. If I was looking for a hard to find book, I would go to these stores to see if one of them had it.)

Noche Mexicana Restaurant (I love their tacos!)

Mass Transit System (Despite its many problems, it operates 24 hours a day and links most areas of the city for $2.75.)



Note: Poets & Writers magazine (September/October 2019) announced that the Publishing Triangle gave its Judy Grahn Award for Lesbian Nonfiction to Imani Perry for her biography of playwright Lorraine Hansberry (1930-1965). The book, Looking for Lorraine: The Radiant and Radical Life of Lorraine Hansberry, was published by Beacon Press. Ms. Perry is a professor at Princeton University.

Last year I attended a conversation she had with Dr. Eddie Glaude, Jr. regarding the biography at Harlem's Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment