Thursday, December 27, 2018

My 2019 Reading List

The following are a baker's dozen of books I have never got around to reading or books I have never finished reading and plan to return to. I'm putting them on my reading list for the new year.

1. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
3. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
4. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
5. Paris Noir by Tyler Stovall (nonfiction about black American expatriates.)
6. Lush Life by David Hajdu (biography of composer/pianist/Duke Ellington collaborator Billy Strayhorn.)
7. Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterley (re: black female mathematicians at NASA in the 1960s; I enjoyed the movie.)
8. Baldwin's Harlem by Herb Boyd (a biography)
9. In the Heat of the Night by John Ball (the basis for the movie and subsequent TV series.)
10. Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley
11. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (the classic murder mystery.)
12. Tinseltown by William J. Mann (nonfiction book about the 1922 murder of film director William Desmond Taylor. This will be the third book that I will have read about this subject. It still fascinates me.)
13. Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years by Sarah L. and A. Elizabeth Delany with Amy Hill Hearth (a memoir of two African American sisters who lived past the century mark;their nephew is the science fiction writer Samuel R. Delany;the memoir was made into a TV movie starring Ruby Dee and Diahann Carroll and was broadcast in 1999.)

No comments:

Post a Comment