Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Peek Behind The Broadway Curtain

The "[r]atings for [NBC's Smash] writes New York Daily News TV critic Richard Huff, " are not smashing" but nevertheless it's "a neat little drama." I totally agree. I learned of the series about the making of a Broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe in an interview featuring playwright Theresa Rebeck on WNET/Channel 13's Theater Talk.

While discussing Rebeck's play Seminar, co-host Michael Riedel of the New York Post mentioned that she created Smash. I decided to check out the show and became instantly a fan.

Amid a plethora of shows about cops, lawyers, and doctors, Smash is a welcome relief.

There's plenty of sex (gay and straight), backstabbing, professional setbacks, prima donna moments,etc. And the show is filmed on location in New York City, which is a big plus for me.There's no doubt the show is a hit with at least one demographic--gay theatre buffs. Although I haven't been to the theatre in years, I'm still intrigued by all of the backstage goings-on.

Despite its disappointing ratings, I'm hoping the show will last another season. If it does, it will have a better chance of appearing in reruns on Logo or some other gay-oriented channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment