Saturday, October 10, 2009

Bring Back Smooth Jazz Radio in New York

WQCD (CD101.9), the erstwhile smooth jazz station that served the New York metropolitan area, began in 1988. I didn't start listening to it until late 1999. I continued listening until it changed to a rock format around March 2008.
Many of the CDs I bought I first heard on CD101.9. Now that the station no longer exists, there's nowhere to turn for the sound of smooth jazz. I miss hearing the station on the public address system at my local bank branch and the supermarket. I miss hearing Joe Sample and Chris Botti and Sade on my walkman as I stroll through Central Park on a Sunday afternoon. Now whenever I play one of my CDs, it brings back joyful memories of the station.
There are other jazz stations in the area--WBGO in Newark and WKCR, on the campus of Columbia University--but they play only classic jazz artists like Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald. But where do I go to hear contemporary artists like Chris Botti, Joe Sample, David Sanborn, Marc Antoine?
CD101.9 wasn't perfect. In fact, their playlist was very limited. If I didn't know any better I would have thought that Dave Brubeck only recorded "Take Five." Plus their definition of smooth jazz was too broad. Stevie Wonder and Lou Rawls are not smooth jazz artists. The artists who would qualify for the label like Carmen McRae, Al Jarreau, Noel Pointer, Lee Ritenour, and Michael Buble,to name a few, were never heard on the station.
Another gripe I had with the station was their playing of edited versions of "Killer Joe" by Quincy Jones and "This Masquerade" by George Benson. I know the station was a commercial
broadcaster, but couldn't they have played the longer versions, especially during the overnight hours?
But aside from those complaints, I was a faithful listener. I hope some other station will take up the smooth jazz banner and maybe do a better job presenting this smoothing, laid back style.

No comments:

Post a Comment